Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Part 1

Having read The Kite Runner, I just could not resist picking up this book by MOHSIN HAMID while browsing the shelves at my regular bookstore the other day. Perhaps the caption 'Shortlisted for the Man Brooker Prize 2007' was the real eye catcher for me.

' Excuse me, sir, but may I be of assistance? Ah, I see I have alarmed you. Do not be frightened by my beard. I am a lover of America...'

So speaks the mysterious stranger at Lahore cafe' as dusk settles. Invited to join him for tea, you learn his name and what led this immaculate speaker of English to seek you out. For he is more wworldly than you might expect; better travelled and better educated. He knows the West better than you do. And as he tells you his story, of how he embraced the Western dream - and a Western woman - and how both betrayed him. so the night darkens. Then the true reason for your meeting becomes abundantly clear.....

No comments: